Actor Rajpal Yadav has obtained interim bail from the Delhi High Court in the ₹9 crore cheque bounce case, bringing short-term relief after days in Tihar Jail. The court allowed release after a ₹1.5 crore deposit, and the interim bail will remain effective till March 18.
Rajpal Yadav is expected to speak publicly about the ongoing dispute within the next few days. A press conference is planned, where details of the legal battle, the financial dispute, and future steps are likely to be addressed for the media and fans.
Rajpal Yadav interim bail cheque bounce case: How the financial dispute began
The conflict dates back to 2010, when Rajpal Yadav borrowed ₹5 crore from Delhi-based Murali Projects Pvt Ltd. The amount was taken to fund Rajpal Yadav’s directorial project Ata Pata Laapata. The film failed commercially, the loan stayed unpaid, and seven cheques issued to the company later bounced, according to court records.
The legal fight expanded over the years. In April 2018, a Magisterial Court convicted Rajpal Yadav and spouse Radha in the cheque bounce matter and awarded six months of simple imprisonment. A Sessions Court upheld that conviction in early 2019, after which Rajpal Yadav moved the Delhi High Court in appeal.
Rajpal Yadav interim bail cheque bounce case: Court directions and surrender
In 2024, the court directed Rajpal Yadav to show clear efforts to clear the heavy dues. However, by February 2026, judges noted multiple breaches of undertakings to repay the money. The court then ordered Rajpal Yadav to surrender, which triggered the latest phase of the case.
Rajpal Yadav surrendered on February 5 after failing to settle the ₹9 crore liability and was subsequently lodged in Delhi’s Tihar Jail. Before going to jail, Rajpal Yadav spoke to Bollywood Hungama and said, “Sir, kya karoon? Mere paas paise nahin hain. Aur koi upaay nahin dikhta (sir, what to do? I don’t have the money to pay back. Can’t see another way out).”
Rajpal Yadav interim bail cheque bounce case: Bail amount and manager’s statement
Interim bail was granted on February 16 once Rajpal Yadav deposited ₹1.5 crore, as directed by the court. Confirming the development, manager Goldie told Hindustan Times, “Yes, it’s true that Rajpal sir has been granted bail. It is a matter of great joy and a happy day for us.”
Goldie further stated that public comments from Rajpal Yadav will come soon. “He will soon hold a press conference to address the issue and talk about it. It will happen in a day or two. Till then we cannot say anything more,” the manager added, indicating that detailed clarifications are pending.
Rajpal Yadav interim bail cheque bounce case: Industry support and funding claims
After the actor’s imprisonment, several colleagues from the entertainment industry expressed support. Among them were Sonu Sood, Gurmeet Choudhary and Guru Randhawa, who publicly spoke in favour of Rajpal Yadav. On Sunday night, some reports claimed promised financial aid did not reach Rajpal Yadav despite public assurances.
Manager Goldie rejected those claims, insisting that assistance had arrived from inside the film fraternity. Goldie said, “No, that is not true. Several actors and people from the industry have come forward and helped Rajpal ji.” The exact contributions and amounts from colleagues have not been disclosed so far.
The key details of the case involving Rajpal Yadav are summarised below for clarity.
| Detail | Information |
|---|---|
| Loan amount | ₹5 crore |
| Lender | Murali Projects Pvt Ltd, Delhi |
| Purpose | Financing film Ata Pata Laapata |
| Cheques bounced | Seven cheques |
| Total dues cited | ₹9 crore |
| Initial conviction | Magisterial Court, April 2018 |
| Conviction upheld | Sessions Court, early 2019 |
| Surrender date | February 5, 2026 |
| Jail | Tihar Jail, Delhi |
| Interim bail grant | February 16, 2026 |
| Amount deposited for bail | ₹1.5 crore |
| Bail valid till | March 18, 2026 |
With interim bail in place and support from parts of the film industry, attention now shifts to Rajpal Yadav’s promised press conference. The case continues before the Delhi High Court, and the actor’s statements in the coming days may shed more light on the unpaid dues and future repayment plans.